Remote control holder

117_170_csupload_36114392

My second project this year was based on a photo I found on Pinterest which didn’t connect to any instructions. The pattern seemed straight forward enough to be achievable, a gentle introduction to knitting vertical stripes. I used the intarsia technique, which means that each section of colour has a separate ball of wool, rather than the different yarns being carried across the back of the knitting.

I had two balls of the same kind of yarn in very similar colours in the stash I inherited from Mum. This seemed a nice way to keep knitting with her. I had no idea what the other end of the knitting looked like, or how to keep it weighted to stay on the arm of the couch, or what size anything was, but I decided I could figure that out as I went along.

The internet was 20160303_180807my friend in figuring out how to do intarsia (at a very basic level!). After doing a couple of test squares and experimenting a little I began to get the hang of this. The grey section was is plain stocking stitch and the green section has a diagonal seed stitch pattern in a smaller (the edges and middle piece at the bottom) and larger (the green end) variation.

The most complicated part of this piece of knitting was that I did the basic rectangular shape in one piece, so that for the bottom and top pieces where the pockets would fold over the front and the back were the opposite to the main section. The rows at the point of this change required a fair amount of mental gymnastics! Changing to stocking stitch was a little complicated, but the diagonal seed stitch pattern required some counting and drawing to figure out.

While I was knitting the main pieces I started to find lots of interesting pictures of yarn embroidery which inspired me to add some interesting leaves and wiggles as I sewed the pockets together.

I was quite pleased with how the patterns turned out, especially as I was just making them up as I went along. I made tension squares with the two yarns before I started to check they were the same, but the different patterns left me with pockets that are not exactly the same size which I hadn’t expected. The larger green pocket also came out quite interestingly wonky!

It turned out that no weight was needed to keep it over the arm of t20160331_204240he couch, it sticks quite happily by itself, even with three remotes in thepockets. I don’t think it will live forever as the pockets already show small signs of carrying the weight, but it is a fun project to have achieved. The best thing about having made thisis that the kids seem quite interested in using it, so no one has had to hunt for the remotes since it was finished.

If I was to do something like this again the main thing I would change would be to give myself more room at the bottom of the pockets to hide the change from front to back. This was a good experiment though and I enjoyed trying lots of new things I hadn’t done before. Generally I am pretty happy, especially with a piece that involved a fairly large amount of making things up as I went along!

20160331_204116

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s